[Amps] Which hearhkit amp would you choose?

Jeff Carter amps at hidden-valley.com
Wed Apr 13 03:18:45 PDT 2011

SB-220.  Take it down to bare metal, build it back up the *right* way,
and have yourself a very functional heirloom piece.

I haven't looked recently, but there was a time on eBay where you
could almost buy the old chassis and refurb them for a living based on
the final auction prices.  I seriously considered it at one point when
I was between jobs.  I may still do it after I retire if there's still
any point (if we still have any spectrum to run them in).

They're fun to build and pretty easy for anyone with any
mechanical/electronic competence at all.  There are higher powered
amps out there, but if you rebuild a SB-220 you will also be able to
repair it, which is a tremendous advantage.

Example of a rebuild: http://www.kd4rbg.com

Jeff