[Amps] DIN vs N

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Apr 24 05:39:54 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: <donroden at hiwaay.net>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:43 PM
Subject: [Amps] DIN vs N

> DIN connectors vs Type N .......
>
> Is there a larger cable that mates with the DIN connector ?

They mate with the same hardline and the RG-213 and larger soft cables
cables as an N.

> What's the advantage / disadvantages of the DIN ?

At HF, zero. An N and RG-213 will handle many times the legal limit. The DIN
is popular with the 20-40KW and up CB crowd and the hams running that level.

 At high VHF and UHF the connector is the weak link so a DIN can run cool in
a 1500W + 432 EME amp running data modes. I run N at 1500W on 2M and they
run cool as long as its a quality USA brand. They run decidedly warm at that
level on 222.

I havent dared run my big 432 amp close to that level yet until all the feed
line and antenna connectors are upgraded.

Carl
KM1H