[Amps] DIN vs N

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Apr 25 15:00:07 PDT 2011

On 4/24/2011 8:39 AM, Carl wrote:
> [...]

Maybe if you don't try to cover all of 75 or 160, but I've blown out N
connectors (Amphenols no less) running no more than the legal limit on
75 a number of times. I use a tuner so I can cover all of both bands and
have not had good luck with N connectors on either of those two bands.
On 40 I not only can use N connectors, but RG8X, and CNT240 at the legal
limit.

>   At high VHF and UHF the connector is the weak link so a DIN can run cool in
> a 1500W + 432 EME amp running data modes. I run N at 1500W on 2M and they
> run cool as long as its a quality USA brand. They run decidedly warm at that
> level on 222.
>
> I havent dared run my big 432 amp close to that level yet until all the feed
> line and antenna connectors are upgraded.

Not a problem here. The legal limit on 440 is 50 watts.<:-((

73

Roger (K8RI)