[Amps] DIN vs N

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Apr 26 06:49:57 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom at telus.net>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:59 AM
Subject: [Amps] DIN vs N
  Yeah, I know, Carl can stuff 2.5 kw
> into anything on any band with a 5:1 swr.  I haven't had much success
> going  that route.
>
> later.... Jim  VE7RF

Not quite Jim but Ive run 1200W into 3:1 on 40 and 20 and maybe a bit more
on the high ends of 10/15. The old PV-4 design has a fast VSWR upturn on the
high end and the 40M KLM's werent very broad either.

Ive also tested bigger amps after repairs at 2-3X that power either into
antennas or into the reactive 5KW dummy load I got from the National
auction.

As long as the amp loads I could care less about a moderate VSWR since I run
3/4, 7/8, and 1" CATV hardline and the additional VSWR loss is miniscule.
With most commercial ham amps using the standard OEP 800pf Load cap with
1500V spacing the only time that arcs is when the load is missing.

Carl
KM1H