[Amps] DIN vs N

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Apr 26 13:28:58 PDT 2011

On 4/26/2011 9:50 AM, Carl wrote:
> Those started over 25 years ago with Taiwan imports. All my PL-259, N,
> adaptors, etc, are USA, mostly mil-spec from decades of hamfests, etc; there
> are several other great brands besides Amphenol altho most may be gone now
> or made in China.

I'm much more concerned as to how they are constructed and of what
materials rather than where.  That said, If I can get US made of
comparable quality (IE good Silver plated Brass) then I go for the US
made.  Sometimes I have to settle for imports as they seem to be the
only source for reasonably priced versus outrageous priced UHF
connectors that fit LMR-600 and larger cables. We're talking $12 - $20
Vs $80 to $125.

AT HF (160-10) the impedance of the UHF connector is of relatively
little importance.  They are difficult to spot with a TDR and you can
stack a bunch of them of good quality with almost no noticeable loss.
The exception is on 160 where it's more a resistance problem, not one of
impedance.  Even then I doubt it's of much concern unless running QRO
which most of us on here do.

I had to use some imported UHF connectors on the LMR-600 run to the 160
half sloper. I ended up modifying them by opening up the inside with an
end mill for more clearance and higher voltage breakdown.  They looked
the same after the mod as they did before.

I still check out the connectors at the swaps, but it's rare now days to
find any good ones.  If some one is selling quality connectors I'd
probably clean them out as I typically stock several hundred of various
types.  I may have mentioned it before, but my work bench sets on three
pedestals.  The top drawer on one is for coax connectors. One day I
closed the drawer and it dropped right through the track and took the
two drawers under it out as well.

I think I'm going to replace those pedestals with the large tool box
bases on rollers. Even considering the price, if they hold up they'll be
worth it.

73

Roger (K8RI)