[Amps] Power handling of an SMA

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Apr 27 03:08:23 PDT 2011

On 4/27/2011 3:20 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:
> I found big differences in N type socket construction where the
> centre contact is captive (mostly 4 hole or bulkhead sockets).
> With Amphenol, for example, the pin has a bit of knurling to lock
> it into the PTFE. The pin pulls out quite easily which is great
> for making small sections of air line where getting in to solder
> in situ would be difficult

It's also one of the weaknesses of N-type connectors on long vertical
runs as the center pin tends to pull back and lose connection with the
female connector.  This is quite common with those long vertical runs.

> - but it's not strong with flexing. The
> old UK Greenpar brand (now part of MA/Com Tyco) have a tophat
> ferrule on the pin with the PTFE moulded around it - noticably
> stiffer and impossible to remove without destroying the connector.

One of the reasons I used to dump some Vinyl ester resin mix into the
N-type connectors.  That rendered them impossible to reuse, but I never
had one come apart of suffer from center pin migration. <:-))  I did the
resin treatment for all "clamp type" N-Connectors.

I'd like to change over to 7-16 DIN if I could find a bunch at a
reasonable cost.  With nearly a 100 connectors that would need changing
I'd mot likely be looking at more than two grand just for connectors.
Course I'd like to find at least to 7/8" Heliax from the stations to the
6-pack and from the 6-pack to the antennas for VHF, UHF, and 160 meters.
with 7-16 DIN connectors.

Coax from  the rigs to the top of the 45 G are roughly 228' long and
from the den to the top of the 25G (or crank up eventually) for the
tribander and WARC 7 are close to 300 feet.  I'd like to put a
quadrature array for both 144 and 440 on that with elevation as well.

OF course, "would like to" and "will" may be quite different when it
comes to the actual implementation.

73

Roger (K8RI)