[Amps] Plate Cap Quandary

Radio WC6W wc6w_amps at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 09:18:45 PDT 2011

    I'm contemplating a single 4CX350FJ (Cout = 7pF) amplifier for 250 watts on HF

       where the plate impedance, at 2200 volts, figures to be 5000 ohms

       and requires a (total) plate C circa 15pF on 10 meters,

       which makes for a rather hard to find (air variable) plate cap.

    So, I thought what if I take two MC325M, 1KV caps  (min C. 14pF)

       with the contoured plates for nicer tuning, gang the shafts, and run them in series

       resulting in a theoretical min. C of 7 pF (plus strays naturally)

    Does this make sense?   Has it ever been done?

       Yes, I'm aware of the 1uH plate L network kluge.

    Or should I just add a second tube, run twice the power at half the impedance,

        and sidestep the whole situation?

    Constructive thoughts or tangential comments both welcome! :-)

73 & Good morning,
   Marv WC6W

http://qsl.net/wc6w/

*