[Amps] Plate Cap Quandary

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Fri Aug 5 19:12:00 PDT 2011

Hi Carl, Marv,

I was about to suggest to simply reverse the order of things, and do this:

1) add up the tube's capacitance, stray capacitance, and minimum
capacitance of the plate tuning cap;

2) Calculate the PI network for that input capacitance, which will
require a higher loaded Q than the one your original capacitance spec
was based on;

3) Put up with the more critical tuning and higher losses caused by this.

But after reading Carl's suggestion,

> Simply wind the 10M coil as per the software program using your favorite Q
> while ignoring any C. Then center tap that coil with the Tune C; it will be
> 4X ratio so now you need 4X the C to resonate.
>
> The effect carries thru  the other bands and rapidly becoming unoticable.

I cannot do anything else than bow my head to long-standing experience,
and mention my own idea just for its anecdotical value! Do what Carl
says, Marv...

I will go back to my MOSFETs instead. My experiments are advancing. I'm
fighting device capacitances too, but in another way... I hope that in a
few months I will be testing a low cost mosfet legal limit amp on the air.

Manfred.