[Amps] "Best" limit indicators for multi-turn, shaft-driven gadgetry

Jim Barber audioguy at q.com
Tue Aug 9 18:35:17 PDT 2011

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

My current plan is to drive the stepper controllers with an onboard
processor. That processor may or may not talk to a PC, but I want it to
be able to run stand-alone for a few reasons. The biggest reason is
probably just that I've been doing PC-based motion control for many
years, and I'd just like to do something different. ;-) Other than that,
I'd also like to have the amp run stand-alone with tuning "presets". I
may not ever get to making it fully auto-tune, but there's also that
possibility as well.

 From your comments it sounds like you're using a "smart" RS232 stepper
board. Those do work well, but I've actually found it easier to use the
simpler TTL-input stepper controllers (like the Gecko units) with either
an onboard PCI I/O card, parallel breakout card or USB GPIO interface.
That comes from my CNC motion-control background, of course and probably
doesn't apply to anyone with better sense. :-)

My current pet peeve is limit switches. I don't like the mechanical
complexity of the more primitive lashups, although using timing belts
and optical interrupters isn't too bad from that point of view. I've had
expensive failures with screw drives and microswitches in the past, so
am somewhat prejudiced against that approach.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and if you come up with a simple, reliable
and precise way of implementing limits, please share! :-)

Best 73,
--jim

Jim Barber, N7CXI