[Amps] New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 13 05:53:13 PDT 2011

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> These is an equation, based on the physics of semiconductors, that shows:

> P f^2 R = constant.

> P = power
> f = frequency
> R = output impedance

> I can't recall the derivation of that, but could dig it out. (It was one of the
> things I learned while doing an MSc in microwaves and optoelectronics)

> So basically doubling the frequency, you are going to only get one quarter of
> the power for the same output impedance.

> I don't know how close we are to the theoretical limits of what is possible, but
> perhaps not too far.

   I've never heard of this, but I see no theoretical limit problem, we can tolerate any output
impedance if we are allowed to use a transformer/s.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - I've been carving my initials on trees and furniture all my life
                  'course I didn't use my own initials, I'm not stupid ... Earl Pitts 4-2-9