[Amps] TL-922 --> 21st century

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Aug 14 09:24:45 PDT 2011

They tried to copy the SB-220 who copied the Drake L-4 which used a similar
circuit. The choke DC resistance introduces some sort of frequency dependent
NFB but has its own problem. It was something Bill Orr forced manufacturers,
by constantly bombarding, them to use in the 60's.

The problem with directly grounding the grids is that it now increases the
circuit gain which can cause a borderline stable amp to take off. One way to
help that is to add non inductive 10-15 Ohms in series with the RF drive
right at the filament.

Another method Ive used with a particularly troublesome amp of any brand is
to run a single 27 Ohm 1W carbon resistor to ground for each tube and bypass
each grid pin with a .01/1KV disc plus add the series resistor at the input.
The various 115 to 220pf micas should be removed as many are at an age that
they are developing leakage.

Output at 100W drive will be about 100W less but stability holds on all
bands as long as the parasitic suppressor is good. Ive detailed my way of
dealing with that on here several times.

Carl
KM1H