[Amps] MRFE6VP Datasheet

jeff millar wa1hco at wa1hco.net
Sun Aug 21 22:42:33 PDT 2011

On 08/21/2011 11:34 PM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
> I have not looked very close at the data sheet but it did occur to me that
> in some applications some devices require time to thermally or electrically stabalize.
> But, you may be right. I'll look closer.
> 73
> bill wa4lav

The transistor has two specifications for 1250W output, one for pulse where it
handles up to 65:1 VSWR and one for CW...which doesn't have a specified VSWR.

I interpret that to mean, if the VSWR climbs, shut down with the amp within one
pulse width to be safe.

Quoting from the data sheet
  - Capable of Handling a Load Mismatch of 65:1 VSWR,
	@ 50 Vdc, 230 MHz, at all Phase Angles,
	Designed for Enhanced Ruggedness,
	1250 Watts Pulsed Peak Power, 20% Duty Cycle, 100 μsec

  - Capable of 1250 Watts CW Operation

Another point, the 1250W output point is specified at less than 1 dB
compression.  3 dB compression has an output of 1553W.  The testing used
pulse mode to reduce heat.  Other than dissipation and thermal rise, the CW and
pulse performance is the same.

jeff, wa1hco