[Amps] 4-1000a GG conversion

Ed Heimbach supermechanic18360 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 17:02:08 PDT 2011

 A few ideas to share.
 I have a triode connected amp, built this 25 years ago, makes 1100-1300 watts out, with 100w drive,& 4kv on the plate.
I am considering building bias and screen supplies, and reconnecting as conventional grid driven tetrode.
 Reason for this, I only have two of these tubes,I have read that the GG "triode" connection can be tough on these tubes, I don't intend to buy any more tubes, this has to last me till my kids sell my stuff.
Till now, I have used this casually, however, I am getting into contesting, and using this amp quite a bit harder.
 questions I have.
 Any changes needed to the output tank?
Will input impedance change, requiring a new tuned input?
 Should I use a resistor swamped input?
 Will neutralization need to be done when changing bands?
 73,AB3HT