[Amps] Replacing 3-500Z tubes with 4-400A tubes

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Dec 5 05:37:03 PST 2011

Thats a perfectly normal result as the 4-400's have less gain in GG.
Im assuming the grids are also now directly grounded.

Reduce the bias a bit and shoot for about 200ma idle for decent IMD. Replace
the zener with reverse connected 1N5408's, about 4 should do it and anything
between 180-220ma idle is fine.

Nobody will hear the 200W less and the result is a cooler running amp.

Carl
KM1H

Carl
KM1H