[Amps] SB-220 filament pin cooling was: Re: Replacing 3-500Z tubes with 4-400A tubes

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Dec 7 03:48:46 PST 2011

I have had recurrent trouble with filament pins coming unsoldered in my
SB-220 during heavy contest operation, even though I have the
replacement Harbach fan that is supposed to move something like 30% more
air.  I recall, years ago, reading that a lot of the heating might be
due to relatively high resistance between the pins and their socket
clips.  The same author, if I remember right, also opined that the
heating would, over time, cause the clips to lose their temper,
aggravating the problem.

I went in and swapped two of the grid clips for the filament clips on
each socket, polished the pins and the inside of the clips, and put a
small fan on top of the tube compartment to help move air through.
Haven't melted a filament pin since.  Fingers crossed.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 AND now
at arcluster.reversebeacon.net port 7000