[Amps] Warm up and on time question...

Patrick Barthelow apolloeme at live.com
Wed Dec 14 11:56:36 PST 2011

Here is an idea to help instant on Tubes, reduce the cold to hot current shock cycles.
I was going to say install a Variac  in the filament circuit.  Variacs to handle 200 watts are not so expensive and can be found at ham flea markets.  A way to do that is to route primarys to  the rear chassis of the amp through bananna jacks.  have the Variac on the op table somewhere and when you begin ops, simply bring up the filaments, with a turn of the variac to full voltage, say  1-2 seconds which will eliminate the high current pulse while the filaments gain heat and resistance.  Maybe a bypass switch on the Variac once fils are hot, to directly feed the primaries.   Or if you cannot isolate the filaments from the HV, then simply run a modest power 240 V variac to bring the whole amp up No need for a 2-3KW variac.  After the amp comes up, flip a bypass toggle switch to run direct to the AC mains.

Best Regards,
Pat Barthelow;  AA6EG