[Amps] SB-1000 160 m power down

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 16:57:33 PST 2011

Hi Han, it seems something in the output circuit is changing value. The
most likely part is in the plate loading circuit as that is where maximum rf
current flows.

Many amplifiers switch in extra capacitance on 160m and the quality of the
capacitor(s) is critical. Many ceramic capacitors have a dielectric
material  that cause a change in capacitance as the temperature changes. Any loss
in the  capacitor causes heating that is related to current squared times the
loss.  Using several smaller capacitors in parallel is often more stable
than a single  large value capacitor. Smaller capacitors seem to have less
dielectric loading  and lower losses.

I have seen 500 and 1000pF door knob style capacitors with these drift
problems. On the other hand, I have seen no 100pf capacitors with drift
problems.

I have not seen drift problems caused by a bypass capacitor; perhaps others
 have. They are removed from the higher rf currents because of the plate rf
choke  presence.

I would be very suspicious of the 500 pF capacitor you mentioned.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/16/2011 11:35:15 A.M. Central Standard Time,