[Amps] Shipment of large old tubes

Patrick Barthelow apolloeme at live.com
Wed Dec 21 09:30:33 PST 2011

I googled  Aircraft Gyro   Shipping, and got a lot of relevant information, including Service Ships for Aircraft  Gyros, perhaps one of the most fragile instruments commonly shipped, in the airline Avionics business.   Some of them had guidelines for shipping and handling of gyros.  Perhaps a call to a big Gyro Manufacturer shipping department could name a shipping company that successfully moves such packages..     Maybe a Sticker:   AIRCRAFT GYRO  prominent on the tube package would generate more repectful handling...

The huge drops that we hear about, should, I think be absolutely not be tolerated by a CEO of a shipping company.  Maybe a write in campaign to the CEO office could get some changes.   If someone had a Data collector that continuously monitored G forces inside a package, and shipped on a suspected abusive shipping company, they could precisely identify where the shipping abuse was occurring. Even better, install inside,  a micro camera with an outside the box view on all three axes, and record the trip.  Use the G force meter to trigger a camera on, with a dwell time to video related activity once tripped...

Run these instrumented packages regularly to keep shipping companies honest.  Maybe live shipping box webcams, on a site, assigned to the various big shippers.

It would be interesting to have a data collector with two sensors; one just inside the box, and one in the deeper packed cushioning. to see the environment and G force Gradients in the box.    Someone must already done this and published in open literature study results..

 73,      Pat Barthelow;   AA6EG