[Amps] Resurrecting the Dead...

Mike Baker k7dd at cox.net
Tue Dec 27 18:05:59 PST 2011

Today, I took on the job of resurrecting the dead.
An OT who is a friend of a club member was said to have a problem with his
SB-200 and so I was asked if I would take a look at it and see if it could
be serviced.
I think the poor fellow who got this amp in trade was already "serviced"
enough...it made me sad to see a rig treated so badly.
I should have had a clue when I saw the "repainted" cabinet.  UGLY doesn't
begin to describe it.
The filter caps had been replaced with these super mini electrolytics that
were so swollen they looked like chocolate bon-bons about to explode!
The bleeder resistors have been running so hot they board is charred. I
guess who ever did the work thought that was normal...
To say the amp is filthy is giving it too much credit.  It looks as if it
were left outside for a year in the rain and snow. Rusty and oxidized
hardware about including the plate tuning and loading caps.  Not good.
I can't even begin to describe the other unorthodox mods underneath the
chassis.
The chassis has been dropped and the underside near the power transformer
smashed and crinkled.  It would appear I need to strip this beast to the
sheet metal, replace all the hardware, soda blast all the sheet metal and
straighten out the bent and damaged goodies before I even start with the
rework.  The switch for the meter is almost melted from too much soldering
iron use and there is not a single inch of wire that doesn't have melted
plastic from a soldering iron on it. It all needs to be replaced. Some very
old type of parts have been substituted for originals (tubular mica
capacitors!) and a circuitry added that is beyond identification.
My only hope is the power transformer is not gone PU. The rest I can deal
with over time and, as the song says, "I get by with a little help from my
friends."
If anyone knows of a good source for SB-200 parts in good condition at non
robbery prices, please drop me a note and pass along the info.
Please note, I am not charging this fellow a dime for labor and most likely
for parts. I am doing it because I believe it is the right thing to do.
(Yes, I probably need medication but that's another story.)  ;>)

Just thought I would share with the group....kindred spirits and all...

Mike Baker  K7DD
K7dd at cox.net
All QSO's are uploaded to LOTW and EQSL.