[Amps] AL-1500 for legal-limit 160m AM?

Jim Barber audioguy at q.com
Wed Dec 28 18:54:17 PST 2011

I'm considering an AL-1500 as a backup amp, tilted to favor 160m AM
operation.
They are (relatively) inexpensive to buy, and I've cached up enough new
and like-new 8877's to last a long, long time with decent treatment.

My question is if anyone here has been successful long-term running an
AL-1500 at or near the legal limit on 160m AM? To be explicitly clear,
I'm talking about running 375 watts carrier and 1500 watts PEP modulated
output, with key-down times that (in my case at least) *can* go two to
three minutes, generally with breaks at least that long and usually
longer between transmissions.

So - do you think the overall power supply, the tank circuit, plate
choke, cooling etc are up to the task? Even things like underrated parts
in the tuned input can be more of an issue with full-power AM than SSB.

Opinions solicited and TIA,
Jim, N7CXI