[Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 19:38:07 PST 2011

Hi Roger,

Actually the Collins rigs were substantially better than most of today's
rigs as far as IM goes. They used negative feedback in all of their finals
which reduced IM about 10 db. ALC overshoot was not so pretty though.

IM if produced, will be the same above the wanted signal as it is below the
signal. An easy way to check for IM is to just switch side bands on the
receiver. That will show you the close in IM present on the opposite side
which will be a mirror of the IM on the active side band.

It sometimes may seem that a station is buckshoting more on one side than
the other but remember that your receiver pass band is offset from the
carrier and so is the transmitted signal offset from the carrier.

73
Gary  K4FMX