[Amps] Amp Supply LK-500ZB Upgrades?

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 13:47:06 PST 2011

I have an LK-550ZC, and while I think the amps are similar, I'm not familiar
with the specific differences. That said, I can offer the following:

1. The problem with the fan system is that it doesn't run at a high enough
speed in the Lo position. This causes the amp to flip into the Hi position
frequently, with attendant screaming freight train noise. The fans in my amp
used to flip into Hi every few minutes, even when sitting idle. There's no
need for that. It's understandable for the fans to go into Hi mode during a
long key down sequence, but not while idling. By boosting the speed a little
in the Lo position, you trade slightly more noise (not objectionable in my
opinion) for better cooling and much less frequent cycling into the Hi
position. Then you can slow the fans down in the Hi position as much as you
dare to attenuate the rest of the noise. I used a digital temperature probe
to monitor the tube temperature under operating conditions and was able to
lower the fan speed in the Hi position while still maintaining a large
margin of safety for tube temperature. And that's with three 3-500Zs! I did
this mod ages ago and I don't remember exactly how I did it. I might have
some notes and/or emails on the subject if you can't figure out how to do
it.

4. I wouldn't bother with the AG6K kit. Many people I respect consider it to
be snake oil -- i.e., the whole VHF-parasitic oscillation thing, balls of
molten gold in the tubes, etc., is a bunch of hogwash. It's highly likely
that the "bang" people sometimes get when tuning an amp come from not
knowing how to properly tune the amp, and not from VHF-parasitic
oscillations. [Note to the reflector: I do not wish to drag this subject up
again for the one millionth debate, and will ignore any messages related to
it. Dead issue.]

The only things I would recommend that are not on your list are:

a. Put a glitch resistor in line with the HV supply to avoid damage to the
plate choke and other components in the event of a high-voltage event like a
tube arc.

b. Check the plate choke for melting or damage. If the amp doesn't have a
glitch resistor, the plate choke may already be damaged.

Hope this helps.

73, Dick WC1M