[Amps] AL-1200 Output band switch arc'ed

Ray Benny rayn6vr at cableone.net
Sat Jan 15 08:50:50 PST 2011

Greeting,

I am new to the Amp reflector, so if I am bringing up a well discussed
subject, pse bear with me.

My early model AL-1200 output switch is arcing at the first wafer. I have
ordered a new switch from Ameritron/MFJ, it is now back ordered a week. They
are not cheap!  Does anyone happen to have an old switch with the first
wafer (nearest the mounting) still in tact?

 The amp still works fine on 40 - 10m but the arcing has destroyed/melted an
unused contact next to the 160m contact. Its hard to see inside without
disassembly exactly what's happened. That contact needs to be there so that
the wiper can slide to the next position. I have been using the amp mostly
on 160m lately. The antenna SWR is less that 2:1 where I use it.

 Any suggesting on getting the old switch out? Ameritron says to unsolder
the wafer leads and replace the wafers.

Any ideas as to why this happened? The Ameriton rep said that my loading was
too light (not sure what that means). I normally tune the amp for max output
while keeping the grid current below 250ma. I have had the amp for 10 years
and have used it heavily in contests with no problem. Just in the past two
years have I been using it alot on 160m.

Tnx,

Ray,
N6VR