[Amps] 572Bs

Mitch Cox ww4cox at embarqmail.com
Wed Jan 19 07:27:56 PST 2011

Paul,
I am sure you will receive many answers to your question on this subject. I will give you an answer that pertains to my experience with 572B's.
I have built many amplifiers over the years for people using this tube, only 3 last year and one so far this year. In my experience the Russian tube is by far superior to what is available from the Chinese today regardless of the name or label printed on them. In the past 10 years I have found that the Chinese tubes have about a 40% failure rate new, out of the box here. So far I have had one Svetlana tube fail to light out of about 50 that has been through my shop. The Svetlana tubes last much longer and have much higher stage gain than any of the Chinese tubes that I have tried. I have had very good luck purchasing these tubes from Frank Krize, K5SVC at Krize Electronics. I am pretty sure that my experience is not an exception but keep in mind that a fellow asked a simple question about a fuse about 5 weeks ago and that lasted at least 3 weeks on this forum venturing from a simple fuse question blossoming into fluid induction breakers. There are a lot of people who don't consider the 572B a worthwhile venture but for $150.00 for 3, they pretty much equal the performance of a 3-500Z.
Best Regards,
Mitch
W4COX