[Amps] What to buy?

steve jobes w1dxh at aol.com
Wed Jan 26 23:20:55 PST 2011

Hi Dennis,
                  Well I fell into a situation similar to what you are in, minus the falling into money part. I was in the market for another amp, my criteria was a bit more specific than yours. First I sold off my 2 Titan 425 amps to provide the $$$. Second what amps were available with 1500 watts key down no time limit? I wanted to be able to run RTTY with out worrying about something going up in smoke. Yes they claim ou can run RTTY with many amps but seems always a time limit or reduced output on key down modes. Next what tubes are they using? Are they still available? Watch out for amps using 4cx800 as svetlana tubes are scarce. This is why Alpha stopped using them and switched. Solid state amps atleast amateur amps do not run 1500 watts key down. They may hit 1500 watts but not recommended for RTTY. Do You want an amp with a bit of headroom so as not to be pushing it at the max to reach 1500 watts? Do you want manual tune or auto tune? Next think about service, who you going to call? What about resale value if down the road you want something else. My choice after thinking about all this stuff was clear ALPHA. First 1500 key down no time limit, service for even the very first amps made 30 + years ago, tubes that are available stateside, resale value that can actual increase as the amp grows old. My Tentec amps were great but they didn't have the beef that my Alpha 89 has. Which I bought used. TenTec does make a very good amp if you don't want 1500 watts, the Centurion uses 3-500's and has been around for a long time. Great service too. Good luck in your quest for a new amp. Would be curious as to what others say. Send me a note when you make a choice.

73,
Steve W1DXH