[Amps] amp with push-pull output and magnetic coupling to theantenn

Commander John crazytvjohn at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 21:30:56 PST 2011

Hi
I had one of those B&K set ups with the HDVL coils and a swinging link with a adjustment shaft from the front panel on a pair of 813 in Push Pull.
The 1952 handbook had one described as a amp construction.  One would want to check handbooks from 1950 through 1960.  The old crap from the  WW2 period and before had the antenna taped on to the tank coil.  As one followed the handbooks through the years first it was adjustable link couplings. Then in the later 50's introduced the link capacitor so the link didn't swing.
I like the 1959 or 60 handbook for the most modern information on this subject. Grounded grid and the Pi Net went strong from about 1958 onward with the introduction of single sideband and Linear amplifiers that were easier to construct.
john W9ZY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B&W actually had a swinging link version that had a 1/4 inch shaft
connection to swing the link from the panel - and the swing arm also took a
plug in link for various bands . The low freq link had two layers of turns
concentric with each other . I built a pp 813 rig with the olde B&W plug in
coils and links- damn near killed myself when one day I had turned off all
ac - forgot to chicken stick the coil - and reached in to grab the coil and
got knocked across room -  the plate contactor had welded shut and the 866's
had not cooled off enough to quit rectifying yet .

Good thing is I survived and you and BET I never do or did anything that
stupid again.

Hank K7HP