[Amps] What is the meaning of ACVFD ?

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Jul 2 18:28:34 PDT 2011

On 7/2/2011 9:00 PM, Carl wrote:
> A 10 HP or higher 3 phase motor and a couple of surplus utility
> company phasing capacitors is the working mans way to tackle it.
>
> Since I dont run that much big 3 phase tools and only one at a time, a
> 7.5 HP "idler" motor has been used for over 20 years, it draws
> negligible power to run. The motor cost $50 and the caps were $5 each.
> There is a surplus of 3 phase motors these days and the cost would
> likely be scrap value if you shop around.

You read my mind. <:-))
There are quite a few tool room lathes and mills available at very
reasonable prices lately.  They are usually a *tad* large for hobbyists
and the market for machine shops has pretty well dried up as that's
where most are coming from.  I've been looking at a Bridgeport floor
mill with digital readout on all three axises as well as power feed on
all three.  I don't remember if it's a 42 or 48" bed.  Weight is *about*
2000#. All 3 phase. I think the main motor is 3 or 4 HP...Might be 5,
but I don't think it's that large.   I'm also looking at a tool room
lathe with a 7 HP 3 phase motor (60" bed) weight is about 5,000# (give
or take)

I have to admit I like the thought of a CNC, but virtually all are of
the older style and not an advantage for a one or two off project.  The
new ones will take the input from my 3-D drafting program and you just
have to put in the tool sizes. I'm not at all familiar with the older
CNC setups.  New ones are *expensive*

73

Roger (K8RI)