[Amps] Risks from continuous discharge of high voltage ??

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Jul 3 12:14:28 PDT 2011

On 7/3/2011 8:58 AM, Ron Youvan wrote:
> Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
Bout like working with any HV transformer. Maybe even safer than the
ones we use in power supplies as I'd think people would give it more
respect.

When working as an instrument tech I worked on quite a number of similar
objects. As he mentioned, it'd need to be in oil to get the max
voltage.  Were it stateside and not already sold I'd have bid on it.

The old tubes with the gettering material covering the top made good
generators. (Kids, don't ry this at home)   You put a thin sheet of
aluminum over the top and connected the anode lead to it. You could get
a nice green glow out of them. Course in those days we didn't associate
much danger with X-rays.  There was a DIY article on how to make your
own X-ray machine in Scientific American.  They also had articles on
rocket building which was not regulated back in those days.  You didn't
purchase ready made motors, you build your own and made them as large as
you wanted.

73

Roger (K8RI)