[Amps] High SWR

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Jul 4 15:30:10 PDT 2011

Yes and No.
   You can. to a limited extent, make an antenna system resonate with an amplifier with a PI network output.
Only if it is slightly off resonance the "Load" capacitor and be adjusted such that you can get an 'conjugate" impedance match.
Making the antenna, transmission line and the PI network all resonate at the operating frequency and also get maximum power transfer.

However, this range is limited and the SWR meter will not indicate 1:1 SWR if you do get a match becuase the SWR meter is still comparing
the antenna system to 50 Ohms and also now the reflections in the transmission line become part of the "resonante system"

 Years ago before hams used SWR meters they tuned their transmitters to the antenna systems by dipping the plate current and
adjusting the Loading capactior of the PI network until they got the proper correct plate current at the dip. But when using
linear amplifiers and particularly GG amplifiers this approach does not always work out right.

 PI-L networks allow for very little range of compensation for antenna missmatch. Still the SWR meter will not indicate a match even
if you achieved one.
73
Bill wa4lav