[Amps] GS35b FWB issue]

Steve Thompson g8gsq72 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 10:44:21 PDT 2011

> I have checked everything else in the PS, and the common
>denominator seems to be the cap bank.  Am I missing something?

Fuses between the transformer secondary and the bridge :-)

To kill diodes in that way, you've got to be looking at something
approaching a short - it's hard to see how loose screws would
cause that. Open cct bleeder resistor(s) might, if one cap arcing
led to overvoltage on another and so on.

Another thing to check is the insulation between secondary and
core on the transformer. If one end arcs to the core you can end
up with one leg of the bridge 'shorting' out the secondary. If
that's  happening, then I think your damaged diodes will always be
in the legs feeding the -ve end of the caps.

Steve