[Amps] GS35b FWB issue

Steve g8gsq72 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 06:24:28 PDT 2011

 >  My next thought, as suggested in this thread, was to hipot the HT
 >transformer, though why that shorting under load would kill a diode
 >string escapes me.

Sketch a circuit:

transformer secondary, label the ends A and B. Diode from A to the + end
of your caps, cathode (arrow and bar) towards the caps. Diode from B to
-ve on the caps, cathode to B. -ve of the caps to ground. The other two
diodes in the bridge aren't doing anythig during this half cycle when
end A is +ve, end B -ve.

Assume point A shorts to to the transformer core and thus to ground,
thus to -ve on the caps. Draw in a wire from A to caps -ve. You then
have a diode straight across A and B, trying to conduct the whole
current the winding can produce. Phut.

Steve GSQ