[Amps] YU-158 still being made?

ED MCKIE kb5gt at cableone.net
Wed Jul 13 11:39:18 PDT 2011

 I built a twenty meter monobander in1997 using a new YU-158 I got from a
friend who had a friend that worked for GE Medical Systems. I found when
trying to get info from Eimac that it was a proprietary tube made for ETO.
About all I could get out of CPI / Eimac was that is was a more rugged 8877
and ran lower grid current for a given output.
Well, there is a new YU-158 for sale on Ebay with a date code 1039. My
question is this: if it was a proprietary tube made for ETO, do they still
make them or could it be a counterfit. The 1 on the datecode is taller than
the rest of the numbers in the date code.
 I read something a few days ago about people putting CPI / Eimac silkscreen
on import tubes.
TNX, Ed