[Amps] AC filament voltage regulator

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Thu Jul 14 17:46:31 PDT 2011

The emission will increase as long as you increase the temperature. Has to do with the thermal work funciton of the cathode material.
Mind you that material changes over a lifetime of use.
So maximum emission can't be the goal because the cathode would just increased the voltage until you got no more emission.
Lots of things determine the cahtodes life. Temperature, time, material, contamination, etc.
Somewhere you have a balance between emission or cathode life time.
The manufacturer draws a line in its specification.
  You can draw your own line but with out lots of experience and many samples to experiment with that is not
practical. The brightest candles burn out the quickest.
  If you want to be precise control the cathode temperature. The method you use is up to you.
You never know how long it will really last. Just that some day you will notice the drop in output and that will be that.

Bill wa4lav