[Amps] Value, part 3 (final)

n2kw at juno.com n2kw at juno.com
Sat Jul 16 05:52:44 PDT 2011

This has been a unique experience.
I tried to find the value of some of my accumulation, but with a SINGLE exception, my replies were from folks who wanted to take advantage of my ignorance,
I called "RF Parts" and got prices from them on new, NOS, and "pulls."
If I priced my stuff at HALF the value of their "pulls" ....you could just add a zero at the end of my "offers."  The replies that I received seem to come from those who value price above all else....it seems to be OK with them, if the stuff doesn't work, as long as "the price is right."
For example...4-1000A - New (Triton) $1095 ....Used (pulls) Eimac $475
My best offer for a 4-1000A?  $25 ....(I wonder what RF Parts paid for their "pulls?")
4CX1500B - (Taylor) $579      Eimac $1795 ...1980's NOS $940  1990's NOS $1095
My best offer for a 4CX1500B?  $125
If I had a 30S-1, and could buy a spare final for $125, hell for $250, I would feel pretty good about it.  If my final gave up the ghost, and I NEEDED one, I would be happy to pay 3 or 400 bucks, and chuckle about how much I saved.
Several of the replies indicared that they were buying something, whose condition was unknown, despite my stated inclination to refund the purchase price of anything not 100%.
Except for a single, genuine reply, all of the others put self-interest above fairness.
I really got roasted about "marking" my stuff, so a ringer didn't get returned (like hams would never do such a thing.)  I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.  Many folks said they would never buy from me ....I can be thankful for that!  What they are REALLY sore about, is that they couldn't take advantage of my ignorance.  Nice folks.
I will have to sell my stuff to someone who actually needs it, not someone who thinks it would make a good addition to their stash, as long as the price is right.  That means E L S E W H E R E.
This board is not a swapmeet.  I started out asking what these things were worth, and got a barrage of e-mails asking how much I wanted for (fillintheblank.)  When I clarified that I needed to know the current value, I got lowball offers.  I did not come here to sell.  I came here for information.  What I got was a bunch of self-interest.
73, Allen - N2KW (OUT)