[Amps] Hunter 2000c Low Output.

Tim Kass k8wbl at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 08:03:59 PDT 2011

I also have the wonderful Hunter 2000C amp... My standing voltage is 2700 VDC...same caps ... this amp has a diode block arrangement, very heavy duty parts.  Make sure you are running the AUX LOAD in the 0 position on the lower bands and try it again it a dummy load on 40 meters to start.  ALSO -- this amp was designed for Amperex 8163 (3-400z) and mine ran well with the original 8163's in it...however, I have tried several pairs of Eimac 3-400z and it doesnt like (2) running together....very  low output...300 watts.. take one of the tubes out and run it briefly as a single tube and see what output you get... I now run a single 3-500Z Eimac and does well..got some more coming to try to run a pair of them.. but if you amp runs fine on the single tube...you can then eliminate some of the other issues... high SWR input from solid state tubes doesnt seem to bother it to much but I have an IC-746PRO and use the internal tuner to balance things..but unless
 the SWR is over 3:1 between the radio, the amp doesnt seem to mind... I also use the Heathkit AMPKEYER for good measure.    Great amp, I have had 2 of these..will never sell this one..

73, Tim K8WBL