[Amps] FW: [Boatanchors] Best Boatanchor 160-10m ReceiversforSSB?

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Sun Jun 5 06:38:17 PDT 2011

The Drake 2B has a serious design flaw.  The rf gain control does not reduce
gain of the rf amplifier tube, and as Carl said, it overloads severely.  If
the radio overloads, turning down the rf gain has no effect.  I had a
neighbor running legal limit that tore the 2B up.  I removed the rf gain
control and left it fixed at maximum gain, then installed a switchable
attenuator in the hole.  That solved the problem.

And, to keep this amp related, the problem only occurred when he had his amp
running - there, I complied.

73,  Colin  K7FM