[Amps] Dummy load varying R

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Wed Jun 8 10:21:24 PDT 2011

No real component is ever (well, almost never) 'pure' - there are always
'strays' creeping around - series inductance, shunt capacity, etc.

For example, a 1 inch piece of 16 gauge copper wire has an inductance of about
0.018 uH which is about 1.6 ohms at 14 MHz.  So even a nice, pure 50 ohm
resistor with a 1" wire connected will be 50+j1.6 at 14 MHz.

And an actual '50 ohm load' will have internal parallel and series capacity and
inductance to further confuse the matter. Oh, and don't forget tolerance. Your
load is 50 ohms nominal plus or minus something.  And you will probably find the
manufacturer specifies a certain VSWR for the load which means that the input Z
can vary anywhere inside that VSWR circuit.

And let's complicate things even more - you say you measure a certain R and X.
How accurate is your measuring instrument?  I doubt if it is very accurate
itself.  And is your measuring instrument in calibration?  Probably not.

All that being said, I know from 50+ years of RF design experience that trying
to tie all of this down is quite difficult .... and, probably, for ham use,
unnecessary.

So, to answer your question (a bit) - yes, it can be difficult.

73
Bob, WA2CKY

P.S. The addition of the cable will change things but should just (for that
short a cable) just shift the impedance while having very little effect on the
actual VSWR.