[Amps] Using an oil capacitor

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Sun Jun 19 10:34:31 PDT 2011

Several respondents to my message have said the same thing. This capacitor cannot be used
at its voltage rating in filter service and needs to be de-rated to about half its spec'd
voltage in that case.

I actually have two of these, so I could probably use them in series for a 26.5 uf filter
capacitor. This would be adequate for a cw transmitter, although I'm not sure if 6% ripple
wouldn't be audible on SSB. However, two capacitors make a very big package, so I'm
thinking about going back to the conventional string of electrolytics.

Any recommendations for a source of electrolytics? There are lots of inexpensive ones on
ebay, but who knows if they are factory rejects!

On 6/19/2011 10:10 AM, Paul Kraemer wrote:
> Vic BE CAREFUL. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!
>  From the size and capacitance you describe it is probably an "energy storage capacitor"
> which is not suitable for power supply filter at even it's published ratings. You will be
> picking pieces of capacitor out of places you really don't want them.
> Paul K0UYA
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Vic K2VCO" <vic at rakefet.com>

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA