[Amps] Using an oil capacitor

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Jun 20 06:00:00 PDT 2011

Ive been using one of those 53uF 3500V caps for about 25 years at 2500V no
load and it barely feels above ambient after being on for many hours. Its a
good cap for a couple of 3CX800's, 813's, loafing 3-500Z's or similar tubes

Ive heard about and seen the results of one letting loose when run at close
to 3500V. The problem is a high ESR that cant handle the ripple current of a
HV PS, especially a doubler.

OTOH Ive been running a 4KV real oil cap with yummy PCB's at 3900V in the 2M
amp for about the same length of time and it stays at ambient.

Carl
KM1H