[Amps] Centurion Problems - Arcing on 10, 15 and 20 mtrs

k2dp at charter.net k2dp at charter.net
Mon Jun 20 19:57:15 PDT 2011

Dan,

I can sympathize with you. I have a Centurion which I purchased used in very
good condition. Had it for a few years and poof went the HV xfmr while the
unit was in standby. The amp was approximately 16 years old when the xfmr
primary opened as you described.  $550 later, I had a new TT replacement
xfmr and we were back in business (but a bear to remove and replace). Now, 3
years later, the amp is arcing on 20 mtrs into a dummy load. Have not
checked it out yet, but put my trusty 40 year old SB-220 back on line (with
original caps, etc) and will get around to the Centurion when time permits.

Would be curious to know if anyone else has seen an arcing problem which
immediately causes the Power Output to drop to zero.  The problem does not
seem to exist on 40/75 mtrs but is prevalent on 10, 15 and 20 into a Bird
dummy load.

73 and good luck,
Dave