[Amps] Using switch mode power supply for heater power

Randall, Randy Randy.Randall at uchealth.com
Tue Jun 28 07:34:17 PDT 2011

Look here:‎

http://www.ametherm.com/inrush-current/megasurge-inrush-current-limiters.html

They supply units up to 50A and have free samples available, but @ $6.20 qty 1 ‎for the 50A part at Digikey why bother?‎
‎  ‎
Ametherm's MegaSurge Inrush Current Limiter is Rugged. Specially designed to ‎withstand up to 50 Amps of Steady State Current and 900 joules of input ‎energy.‎

Example:‎

Electrical Specifications
Resistance: 0.5 ± 25%‎
Max Steady State Current up to 25°c 50 A Max Recommended Energy 900 J Actual ‎Energy Failure 0 J Max Capacitance @ 120 VAC: 62000 µ Max Capacitance @ 240 ‎VAC: 15629 µ Max Capacitance @ 480 VAC: 3612 µ Max Capacitance @ 680 VAC: 1800 ‎‎µ Resistance @ 100% Max Current: 0.01 ohm Resistance @ 50% Max Current: 0.02 ‎ohm BodyTemperature @ Max Current 215°c Dissipation Constant: 78 mw/°c Thermal ‎Time Constant: 240 mw/s Material Type (for Beta and Curve) B  ‎

Randy.‎

Randy E. Randall AB9GO
Network Engineer
UC Health