[Amps] door knob capacitors

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 11:39:13 PST 2011

I'm looking at those doorknob caps for sale from Ameritron.  Actually
they are listed as MFJ but it's all the same now.

They have two types:

500 pF 7.5 KV and 170 pF 7.5 KV.  They are made by High Energy (type
HE50) and sell for $22 each from MFJ.   I wanted more information
about their current rating v. frequency so I went to the HE website
and found this data page:

http://highenergycorp.thomasnet-navigator.com/viewitems/ht50-ht58-series-ceramic-capacitors/ht50-series-ceramic-capacitors?

For the 170 pF cap the fL and fH give me some confidence but as value
goes up, frequency range lessens so one has to de-rate the current
capability for the high-bands.  but for load cap padders for a ham amp
even the 500 pF is probably okay at 30 MHz.  I'm still sticking with
what I have on hand for now though, my 2 buck micas because I am a
cheap ham.

Rob
K5UJ