[Amps] Commander II amp (Stein model)

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 05:45:48 PDT 2011

Anybody on here have or worked on a Commander II 2 meter amp (Stein
model)?  Looking at the schematic it appears that the full 2700vdc is  brought up
to the meter switch board and somehow the meter reads the HV up  there.
There is a resistor marked on the schematic 5/5W shown on the  switch board.  I
would take that to mean 5ohm 5 watt. However, looking for  the HV metering
resistors I do not find any on the schematic, so I am assuming  there is a
typo and that resistor should be marked 5M/5W meaning 5megohm/5watt,  that
would explain the metering resistors.  So my question is, did Pat  really
bring 2700vdc up to the switch board and drop it through that 5/5w  resistor
that appears to be a typo?  I checked the new Palstar unit and  there is a
string of metering resistors on the rectifier board where you would  expect to
see them.  Did he really do what I think he did?  The amp is  in here for
some repairs and I looking over the schematic before I open it up  and get into
it.  The amp was dumped on me due to some friction with Don  Kessler and
Palstar.  Whatever that is all about.  Lou