[Amps] copper vs steel /SS /brass conductors in a HF tank circuit

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Tue Mar 22 13:06:04 PDT 2011

I'm pleased that Rob specified "in a HF tank circuit" for his comment "they are so nearly the same that copper strap is good enough; silver just looks pretty and impresses people."
Silver does look pretty and so does copper. Soon, I will post a photo about an incredible silver plated cavity that I bought for work. For VHF, where all the RF current remains in the skin ~ thousandth of an inch thick,
its important to maintain low resistance for the life of the amplifier, say 30 years. Silver plating appears to be best.

73
John
K5PRO