[Amps] SB-200 power supply diodes

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 09:35:10 PDT 2011

I disagree!  Yes, you do have to enlarge the holes to use the 1N5408.  However, the added protection of both the higher current rating and the surge of the 1N5408 over the 1N4007 will assure that if one of the electrolytic capacitors "goes" then the circuit breaker (or fuse, depending on the linear) will open before any of the diodes short and that, in turn, will save the transformer.

That usually will not happen with the 1N4007.

I realize that the 1N5408 costs a little more than the 1N4007.  I pay 2.7 cents each per 1N4007 and 11 cents each for the 1N5408.  But, for less than a dollar the added protection of the 1N5408 is well worth the money.  I do "stock" 1N4007 diodes because they work in so many applications.  However, for high voltage in linear amplifiers I use the 1N5408.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com