[Amps] 87 a query re align motors?

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 11:46:32 PDT 2011

Replacement of the PIN diodes, by itself, would not have cleared the segment
memories.

I guess RF Concepts could have accidentally wiped the memories when doing
diagnostics before or after the replacement, but that seems unlikely.

The only other way to lose your default segment memories that I know of is
to replace the CPU. In that case, you're starting with blank segment
memories. In fact, there a bunch of critical parameters that are blank as
well, such as the correct position for the band switch on each band, various
voltage thresholds, etc. Each amp is custom-programmed at the factory when
built or when the CPU is replaced. I know this because I had to have the CPU
replaced after a lightning hit. I was able to take advantage of a rare trip
by Brad to the East Coast, during which he replaced my CPU and programmed
the critical parameters. But he didn't have time to tune the default
memories and gave me the procedure to do it (for various reasons I still
haven't gotten around to it -- I just programmed the user memories for my
antennas.) I assume this is the procedure RF Concepts had you do. However,
it doesn't seem likely that they would have replaced the CPU without telling
you and without fully programming it.

I'm speculating, but it's possible that something is wrong with one or both
of the PIN diodes they replaced, or they're not soldered in right. Another
possibility is that something in the output path was jarred loose in
transit. In these cases, the amp would see different output impedance and
all of the default and user segment memories would have to be retuned. Note
that I replaced both of my transmit PIN diodes and did not have this
problem. The segment memories I had previously programmed worked, though
since I use AlphaMax that just means that they're close enough for AlphaMax
to do what it needs to do.

I can think of one more possibility: there was some flaw in your amp when it
was built, such as an off-spec PIN diode, a loose connection, something
wrong in the output path, etc., but it wasn't severe enough to prevent
tuning of the default segments. Maybe RF Concepts fixed the flaw in the
process of replacing your PIN diodes, which is why the tuning needed to be
redone.

73, Dick WC1M