[Amps] 4-400A ratings

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Sun May 8 23:01:51 PDT 2011

I've come into a pair of 4-400A's. I'm thinking about building an amplifier with one tube
and using the other for a spare. Looking at the data sheet for class-C CW, the maximum
rated plate current is 350 ma. This means that at 3 kV on the plate I can expect to get
only about 750-800 watts output. This does not come close to utilizing the 400-watt plate
dissipation of the tube.

At 4 kV, I could get 1400 watts input and about 1050-1100 out. That's a lot better. But it
means a lot of extra expense -- the power supply, tuning capacitor, etc. need to be bigger.

Is this correct? Why is the plate current limited to 350 maA? Is it a limitation on
filament emission?

Of course I can use both tubes and get full legal power. But then I need another socket,
chimney, etc. Or maybe I can use the "SB220 cooling method" and cheaper sockets.
--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA