[Amps] 3-1000 Amplifiers

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Wed May 11 12:38:11 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:32:50AM -0500, mikea wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:14:59AM -0400, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
>
> [a vacuum-filled Hindenburg]
>
> > Absolutely. However, the weight of a structure that size that could
> > withstand the forces of a vacuum would well exceed the forces of
> > buoyancy!
>
> Just so. I got to see a very large vacuum chamber that had collapsed:
> the NASA Manned Spacecraft Center's space environment chamber, which was
> something like 5 meters diameter and 8 or 10 meters long. I drove to work
> one morning, and it had changed shape from a vertical cylinder to something
> like a crushed Coke can. This chamber was _heavily_ braced on the outside,
> instead of being designed for flight. Oooopsie!

I got it w0rng; a press release from the commissioning of that chamber
says:

     HOUSTON_ TEXAS -- Formal acceptance of the 65 ft. diameter vacuum
  chamber at the NASA Manned Spacecraft Center took place here today after
  the completion of acceptance tests by Industrial-Fisher-Diversified,
  prime contractors for the facility. The transfer of the facility to NASA
  was accomplished by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, technical monitor
  for NASA facility construction. The 120 ft. high chamber will be used to
  conduct thermal tests of Apollo spacecraft under vacuum conditions.

That's press release         MSC 66-2, January 7, 1966

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin