[Amps] Vacuum Packaging, storage for Glass tubes

Patrick Barthelow apolloeme at live.com
Thu May 12 06:20:52 PDT 2011

Some time back, I asked a similar question, and got good, but not conclusive opinions...partly due to a not having good wording of my question.

I looked up vacuum on Wikipedia, and got a huge amount of history and technical information, more case  histories of how fundamental religious beliefs can be dangerous, and a useful set of numbers defining different vacuums,  shown below:

I have seen 4CX-250Bs in military stocks, that were suspended in a plastic shock mount, inside a one-time use,
sealed vacuum tin can.  OD green, and about the size of 3 stacked tuna cans.  Pull tab top, that first breaks the vacuum, then
peels back along a scored groove, like a sardine can.  Remove 4CX 250B from the can, then from its molded plastic shock mount.

Presumably extends the shelf life of the Mil Spec 4CX 250B due to the vacuum inside the can, slowing ingress of
air molecules past tube ceramic to metal seals.

My questions:

What level vacuum was likely drawn on the one time use, storage can?   Low, Medium or High?

1 Torr, I believe is 1 mm of mercury, which appears from the table below to be not quite 3 orders of magnitude from atmospheric
If you could in a simple way, evacuate a cheap, re-sealable container to 1 Torr, and store a 3-500Z in it, you could reduce the differential
pressure across the pin to glass seals by almost 3 orders of magnitude.

Is 1 Torr simple to achieve with cheap shop compressor/vacuum pumps?

If you you could put  1 Torr of pressure in a simple container, how often would you have to refresh the vacuum to keep close to the 1 Torr value?

Would 1 Torr outside pressure on a say, 3-500Z which I presume, has a very "hard" vacuum,
dramatically slow the ingress of air into the tube over a long period of time?

If so, then someone could help frugal hams by designing a similar, but re usable, home-evacuatable can that
could vacuum pack  3-500Zs and the like, extending their life during/after long times of storage.

best, 73, de Pat  AA6EG

pressure (Torr)
pressure (Pa)

Atmospheric pressure