[Amps] PA efficiency

David Kirkby drkirkby at gmail.com
Wed May 18 05:56:36 PDT 2011

On 18 May 2011 13:20, Carey Lockhart, KC5GTT <kc5gtt at gmail.com> wrote:
> i was affraid of that. 58.3%. my gs31 2 meter amplifier i use for a standby
> isnt much more efficent than my gs-35 that just croaked. i have been using
> these yu1aw designs. have yet to get the rated operating paramters listed. i
> dont even have a clue where to start. i am wondering if there is a more
> proven design better suited to my skill level. any suggestions?
>
> Carey, kc5gtt

It's totally pointless stating the efficiency to 3 significant figures
(58.3%). Whilst if you use a DVM you can read DC voltages and currents
to well under 1%, you wont be able to measure the RF power to anything
like that accuracy. So your efficiency is probably somewhere between
48% and 68%. So worrying about the odd 1 percent is totally pointless
unless you use professional, laboratory quality test equipment to
measure the RF power.

In fact, I doubt your high voltage probe is sufficiently to measure
the voltage to better than 1%.

Dave